Have you ever needed to share a file with a colleague, but it was too large to email? Or maybe you need a document that is on your computer at work, and you’re at home?
We love this online tool lets you store and share your files easily – and for free (up to a certain limit)!
With a www.Dropbox.com account, when you save a file to your Dropbox location on your computer, you can share it with others or access it from anywhere – because the file is stored “in the cloud.”
- Go to www.Dropbox.com
- Click on the download link and follow the prompts to install the software on your computer.
- A folder named “Dropbox” will automatically populate on your desktop.
- To add files to your new Dropbox folder just save them to it, or drag and drop.
- You can create several sub-folders within your main Dropbox folder to stay organized.
Now you Can Share Files with Others
Share documents with others by creating a folder in your account specifically for a person or group of people.
- Open your Dropbox folder on your computer and click on New Folder.
- Save the documents you would like to share in this folder on your computer. Remember, files saved in any of your Dropbox folders are instantly synced up with your online account (assuming you are connected to the Internet).
- Next, go to www.Dropbox.com and enter your user name and password and click on the Share tab, then Share a folder. Follow the prompts to add the email address of the person(s) you would like to invite to the shared folder — or choose from contacts in your Members list (prior people you have shared folders with).
- Dropbox will send an email invitation to the person(s) you have indicated and prompt them through the software download process (unless they already have an account). They even have a short tutorial for getting up and going quickly.
When you create a folder for an individual or group, they will only be able to see the files within the folders that you share with them, not all of the documents in your own Dropbox account.
You can increase your free space by inviting others to create their own Dropbox account.